If you’re a fan of chocolate chip cookies, you typically fall into certainly one of two camps: skinny and crispy, or thick and chewy. This explicit recipe is for the latter — thick and chewy chocolate chip cookies is what I grew up with and it stays my favourite cookie to at the present time. (Psssst…searching for skinny and crispy cookies? Right here you go.)
There have been two main influences on this chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe: the Nestle Toll Home back-of-the-package recipe (which I feel we are able to all agree is just about The Normal so far as chocolate chip cookies go) and a recipe from Christina Tosi’s cookbook Milk Bar Life.
It’s because of Christina’s chocolate chip cookie recipe that I found the wonders of this one particular ingredient that makes all of the distinction.
Video! Methods to Make Chocolate Chip Cookies!
Secret Ingredient for Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Have you ever ever used powdered milk in chocolate chip cookies, or any cookies for that matter?
Earlier than coming throughout Christina’s recipe, it had by no means occurred to me to make use of milk powder in something besides my California Emergency Earthquake Preparedness Package. However as I discovered from Christina’s recipe, milk powder provides cookies a definite chewiness in addition to a delicate caramel taste that (for me) takes a cookie from good to superb.
You don’t want a lot. Simply two tablespoons will enhance the feel, although I admit that I’ve gone as excessive as 4 tablespoons from time to time and been please with the outcomes.
Milk powder, additionally known as powdered milk, retains ceaselessly within the pantry (which is why it’s so good in emergency kits). Even as soon as the bundle is opened, milk powder will preserve for a number of months if stored in an hermetic container.
Adapting the Toll Home Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Other than the milk powder, this can be a fairly simple adaptation of the Toll Home chocolate chip cookie recipe — although I daresay I’ve managed to make a couple of enhancements on the basic.
- I favor an equal mixture of brown sugar and common white sugar, identical to the unique Nestle chocolate chip cookie recipe, however I’ve discovered that I like ever-so-slightly extra flour in my cookies. This offers the cookies a sturdier construction that’s each satisfying to eat and likewise much less more likely to crumble when squished right into a lunchbox or shipped to a buddy.
- I additionally extremely advocate giving the batter at the least a 30-minute chill, or as much as in a single day, within the fridge earlier than scooping the cookies and baking them. This lets the dough have time to hydrate and agency up. Should you’re in a rush, it’s fantastic to bake them instantly, however they are going to unfold out extra and have a thinner, extra delicate construction.
- Bake these cookies solely till you see that the tops are totally puffed and the sides are beginning to look toasty, then allow them to cool for a couple of minutes on the baking sheet earlier than transferring them to a cooling rack. As they cool, the puffy dome will collapse on high of the chocolate chips inside, giving the chocolate chip cookies their signature crinkled, craggy look.
Need Even Chewier Cookies?
Once you use a mixer to beat the butter and sugar, you additionally combine in a whole lot of air, which makes the cookies fluffier. So right here’s a sizzling tip: for extra-chewy cookies, combine your cookie dough by hand utilizing a stiff picket spoon or spatula. The end result will probably be a barely denser, extra compact cookie.
Favourite Chocolate Chip Cookie Add-Ins
Should you’re feeling wild, add as much as 3/4 cup of any of the next:
- Chopped nuts
- Peanut butter chips
- Crumbled graham crackers
- Rice krispies or cornflakes
- Toffee chips or different small sweet
Storing & Freezing Chocolate Chip Cookies
This chocolate chip cookie recipe makes cookies which might be completely irresistible on the day they’re made: the sides are buttery and crispy, the middles are mushy and chewy, and the chocolate chips are completely semi-melty.
They lose a few of their crispness in a single day, turning into softer. However I promise they’re no much less scrumptious and no much less able to satisfying your cookie cravings.
- Retailer chocolate chip cookies in an hermetic container at room temperature.
- Freezer directions: Freeze particular person scoops of dough on a parchment-lined baking sheet till agency. Switch to a freezer bag, squeeze out as a lot air as doable, and freeze for as much as 3 months. Bake straight from the freezer, including an additional minute or two to the cooking time.
Extra Nice Chocolate Chip Cookies to Attempt!
- Skinny and Crispy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Brookies (Chocolate Chip Brownie Cookies)
- Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
Use 2 tablespoons milk powder for a delicate chewiness; use as much as 4 tablespoons for a chewier texture and extra distinct taste.
For a good chewier texture, combine the cookie dough by hand with a picket spoon or spatula.
Tailored from Nestle Toll Home.
- 2 1/2 (350 g) cups all-purpose 4
- 2-4 tablespoons nonfat milk powder (see Recipe Be aware)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup (150 g) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (161 g) darkish brown sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks, or 8 ounces) unsalted butter, very mushy
- 2 massive eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 ounce bag (about 2 cups) semisweet chocolate chips
- Silicon baking mat
- Medium cookie scoop
1 Combine the dry substances: In a medium mixing bowl, mix the flour, milk powder, salt, and baking soda and whisk to combine. Put aside.
2 Beat the sugars and the butter: With an electrical mixer or in a stand mixer with a beater attachment, beat collectively the granulated sugar, brown sugar, and softened butter on medium pace till mixed, 30 to 60 seconds. Select any massive pebbles of exhausting brown sugar that you simply see. Scrape down the edges of the bowl and the beaters.
3 Combine within the eggs and vanilla: Add the 2 eggs and vanilla to the butter-sugar combination and beat at medium pace till no clumps or streaks stay, 10 to 20 seconds. Scrape down the edges of the bowl and the beaters.
4 Combine within the flour combination: Add the flour combination all of sudden. Beat on low pace simply till no extra dry streaks of flour are seen, 20 to 40 seconds. You should still see some flecks of milk powder — that is fantastic.
5 Combine within the chocolate chips: Add the entire chocolate chips and beat on low pace for just some seconds till the chips are evenly included.
6 Chill the dough: Scrape down the edges of the bowl and the beater. Cowl the bowl and refrigerate for at the least 30 minutes or as much as three days. (Or freeze in particular person scoops for as much as 3 months.)
7 Warmth the oven to 375F: Place a rack in the midst of the oven. Line two baking sheet with silicon baking mats or parchment.
I often bake my cookies one sheet at a time to assist them bake evenly. Should you favor, or are crunched for time, bake two sheets at a time with one sheet within the higher third of the oven and the opposite within the decrease third of the oven.
8 Scoop the dough: Use a medium cookie scoop (or a well-mounded tablespoon measure) to scoop the dough out onto one of many baking sheet. House the cookies about 2 inches aside.
9 Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes: Whereas the primary batch bakes, scoop the cookies for the following batch.
The cookies are performed once they look barely puffed within the center and are beginning to flip toasty on the edges.
10 Cool the cookies: Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes, or till the puffed middles collapse and the cookies have firmed a little bit. Switch the cookies to a wire cooling rack to chill fully.
11 Proceed baking cookies in batches till all of the cookie dough has been used.
12 Get pleasure from! These cookies are at their greatest on the day they’re made. Retailer leftovers in an hermetic container; they are going to soften a little bit in a single day however are nonetheless very scrumptious. They preserve for a couple of week earlier than turning into crumbly (at which level, I like to recommend crumbling them over ice cream!).