Kalisa Marie Martin
Salad doesn’t at all times get the glory it’s due, however that’s not the case right here. With toasted nuts, dried fruit, crispy bacon, and a candy and tangy French dressing, this salad can stand proudly by itself—or proper alongside your vacation show-stoppers.
The kale and Brussels sprouts present the right base for these candy and savory accompaniments, and the recipe itself is sort of versatile. Need extra cranberries? Go for it! No bacon? That’s fantastic, too. See under for concepts on swaps and substitutions.
Whether or not you observe this recipe precisely or put your personal spin on it, you’ll find yourself with a hearty salad with nice texture and an thrilling mixture of flavors.
HOW TO PREPARE YOUR VEGETABLES
When you may use a meals processor to shred your Brussels sprouts and kale, a pointy knife works simply as effectively and leaves fewer dishes to scrub!
- For the Brussels sprouts, peel off any dry or wilted outer leaves and trim off the stem finish. Reduce them in half lengthwise and, with the flat facet down, thinly slice the sprouts into shreds.
- For the kale, take away the leaves from their stems, and then slice the leaves into skinny strips.
PERFECT SALAD SWAPS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
In terms of this salad you’ll be able to swap virtually each ingredient for one thing else to maintain the flavors recent and new each time you make it.
So far as varieties of kale, each curly and lacinato can be utilized. The bacon provides a pleasant salty and savory chew so, in the event you omit it, use salted nuts to take care of the steadiness.
- Nuts: If you happen to don’t have pecans, different nuts like walnuts, almonds, or pistachios could be scrumptious. Want it to be nut-free? Pumpkin seeds would even be nice.
- Dried Fruit: You possibly can change the dried cranberries with dried cherries or golden raisins and even recent fruit like pomegranate arils.
- Cheese: If you happen to’d like so as to add cheese to this salad, you may go nearly any route. A comfortable goat cheese, funky blue cheese, exhausting pecorino—no matter you want! Use between 1/2 to 3/4 cup (based mostly in your desire) and add to the salad proper earlier than serving.
HOW TO MAKE BRUSSELS SPROUTS SALAD AHEAD OF TIME
It is a nice make-ahead dish as a result of a number of of the elements may be ready not less than in the future prematurely.
- Shred the kale and Brussels sprouts and retailer them in an hermetic container within the fridge the day earlier than you wish to serve the salad.
- Toast and chop the nuts per week prematurely. Retailer them in an hermetic container at room temperature.
- Make the dressing three days prematurely. Simply maintain it within the fridge.
As soon as the entire substances are mixed, you continue to have time in your facet. It truly wants 10 to 30 minutes for the kale to melt and the flavors to mix however, after that, it’s finest eaten that very same day. It should nonetheless be scrumptious a few days later, although the dressing will proceed to melt the kale particularly, making the salad wilt.
MORE FESTIVE SALADS TO LOVE
- Harvest Salad with Miso-Maple Roasted Butternut Squash
- Roasted Butternut Squash Kale Sauté
- Kale Waldorf Salad
- Festive Beet Citrus Salad with Kale and Pistachios
- Orange and Beet Salad
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts with Lemon
Kale and Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad with Bacon Recipe
This salad is finest loved the day it’s ready. After a few days, the dressed salad, although wilted, will nonetheless be scrumptious. I exploit two sorts of mustard, however in the event you solely have one or the opposite that’s okay too.
For the Salad:
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, wilted outer leaves peeled off and discarded
- 1 pound recent kale, about 1 giant bunch, rinsed and patted dry
- 6 strips of bacon
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
For the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons complete grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly floor black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
1 Prepare dinner bacon: In a big skillet lay bacon in particular person slices, prepare dinner till desired stage of doneness. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Cool and chop.
2 Toast the pecans: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Unfold pecans out over a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 5 to 8 minutes, stirring as soon as, till toasted and aromatic. Switch to a reducing board to chill then roughly chop.
3 Put together the Brussels sprouts and kale: Trim off the underside of the Brussels sprouts and minimize them in half, lengthwise. Then, with the flat facet down, thinly slice the sprouts into shreds.
Take away the kale leaves from their stems and, utilizing a knife, thinly slice the leaves into strips. Discard the stems or save for an additional use. Into a big bowl, add the Brussels sprouts and kale. Combine to mix.
4 Make the dressing and gown salad: In a medium-sized bowl, whisk collectively the vinegar, maple syrup, mustards, salt, and pepper.
Whisk within the oil till totally mixed and then pour the dressing onto the mixed Brussels sprouts and kale. Combine till effectively coated and let sit at room temperature 10 to 30 minutes (refrigerate if longer).
5 Assemble and serve: When able to serve, add a lot of the pecans, bacon, and cranberries and stir to mix. Switch to a serving dish and garnish with the remaining pecans, bacon, and cranberries.